There are many reasons you could be experiencing severe bad breath problems. However, if your bad breath seems persistent and stubborn, then you could be experiencing a medical condition called halitosis. Halitosis is a condition that causes terrible breath to linger and has many causes. To help you understand why you are experiencing this condition, our dentist, Dr. Brant Pittsley with MI Beautiful Smile in Davisburg, Michigan, has provided some information on bad breath.
Here are some common causes of halitosis:
– Oral health hazards including gum disease, tooth decay and dental erosion can all contribute to the presence of bad breath.
– If you have any infections within your gums or teeth, you will be at an increased risk for bad breath.
– Bad breath can result from respiratory tract infections.
– Bad breath can be linked to smoking and chewing tobacco.
– Dry mouth, which is a condition in which your body is not producing enough saliva, is a known condition and risk factor for bad breath.
– If you routinely eat foods that produce breath-offending odors, bad breath will be present.
– Issues with your liver and kidney are known to cause bad breath.
If you are unsure of why you are experiencing bad breath, or if you are interested in a dental checkup, then please call us today at 248-634-7002 to make an appointment. Our dentist is happy to work with you and discover the underlying cause of your bad breath, so you can find the treatment and help you need to restore your oral health.